Owners abroad during a pandemic, we know they are missing their UK families. So in this series we thought we would offer a little insight into what they have been up to for the past 12 to 18 months…
First up is James & Olivia, owner of La Ferme Du Cayla, a luxury family-friendly retreat in Lot, the Midi-Pyrenees region. James, Olivia and their children Sienna (6 years) and Alberti (3 years), moved to La Ferme Du Cayla in 2019. Since then they have been busy creating a luxury haven for families with young children looking to unwind and recharge the batteries.
Have you carried out any decorations or renovations on your properties?
We have managed to re-decorate the bar, and build a new babies club which will be ready for the season on the 3rd July.
Last year we managed to renovate the pool area with 230Metre sq of teak wood and also build our new Pergola restaurant which has a view over the Cele Valley
A new chicken run is currently being put up so that they can be protected from the predators that are around at night…..
Any new additions to the family, human or non-human?
New additions to the farm are 4 lickle rabbits, and 5 new chickens…
Have you managed to take pictures of different seasons or had time for any new hobbies?
New hobbies – not really – we have been closed for 9 months out of the last 12 so we have kept the gardens going but that’s it really….
When UK families can visit again what could a typical day look like?
Breakfast, large French buffet- served in our internal restaurant, kids club, massage and yoga for the adults – –
Lunch then as a family served on their terrace
Kids club after lunch – Relax time for the parents
Fun time around the pool
Kids dinner at 6:30pm
Parents 4 course meal served in the Pergola Restaurant from 8pm – 10pm
Kids have kids club the evening of cinema night
Digestive on the terrace before sleepy time!!
La Ferme Du Cayla is a luxury wellbeing retreat for both parents and kiddies, the domain offers everything a family would want. Within 5 acres there is 6 French style self-catering cottages, a wellness centre with a swimming pool, steam room and sauna. Beautiful lake where guests can unwind or take a stroll. There is also farm with friendly animals, where they can be met, fed and even enjoy a groom.
There is a fab selection of packages available at La Ferme Du Cayla throughout the year. Here is what you could expect:
Full board summer package: throughout the summer months, June, July and August. Want to know what’s included?!
For weekly stays only and the changeover day is a Saturday:
- 7 breakfasts served in your cottage due to COVID restrictions
- 6 lunches served in your cottage
- 4 themed dinner menus (note: kitchen is closed Wednesday evening)
- 1 Saturday welcome buffet
- 1 Sunday Pizza evening
- 7 ice cream or cookie bars for the kids (4pm)
- Access to the wellbeing centre for adults only (heated indoor swimming pool, steam room, sauna and jacuzzi)
- Heated outdoor swimming pool + baby paddling pool
- Vegetable and fresh herb garden
- On-site activities (trampoline, zip-line, table tennis, tree house, mini golf, slides, swings, badminton, petanque)
- VTT mountain bikes for guest use
- Educational/petting farm (sheep, lambs, rabbits, chickens and a donkey)
- 1 massage per adult (possibility to have additional massages)
- 3 yoga sessions
- 1 relaxation hour or stretching next to the private lake
- 1 aqua tonic hour in heated swimming pool
- Baby club or/and kids club (9:30am – 12:30pm & 2pm – 4pm, then Wednesday and Thursday evenings 7pm – 11pm)
- Housekeeping mid week (Tuesday/Wednesday)
Drinks are not included
The rest of the year is then spilt into two other structures:
Other school holiday dates throughout the year is the same as the above but there is NO food included. This is offered on a 3 day, 4 day or 7 day basis
There is a New Years Eve Package, with a gala dinner with music and fireworks on New Years eve, and a BBQ lunch on New Years Day around the lake.
The rest of the year all services are open and the cottages can be rented out on a self-catering basis. No activities are included, however, owners can organise a babysitter, massages and yoga on demand if guests would like this as a supplementary cost.
It might be hard to leave the domain with so much to do however the surrounding areas really are worth visiting. There are stunning local French villages worth walking or cycling with market days throughout the week. More outdoor activities include tree climbing, underground cave climbing, astronomy, canal boat trip and so much more, the owners can help organise.