As the name suggests, Maison Tranquil is a wonderful place for a tranquil family holiday in the south of France. The house is incredibly spacious, with 7 bedrooms (all with ensuite bathrooms) sleeping up to 18 guests, making it ideal for a multigenerational family holiday or for groups of families holidaying together. It is also perfect for special celebrations with facilities to host receptions for up to 50 guests!
There are 3.5 acres of private gardens with a heated pool and amazing views over the lake.
The gardens are terraced, the pool is fenced & has shallow steps making it perfect for toddlers. There is a fab pool house and plenty of loungers to relax on, making it easy to spend time at the pool with your little ones. Also, within the grounds is a children’s play area & sandpit plus a giant garden chess set, table tennis and a petanque court – activities to keep all ages entertained.
There are plenty of outdoor terraces with sunny & shady spots to choose from, perfect for alfresco dining. The kitchen is well equipped and there is even a wood fired pizza oven – children will love helping to make their own homemade pizza, delicious!
If it’s proving tricky cooking for your large group, catering can be arranged.
The owners, Mark & Andrea, can prepare a 3-course meal with wine for €25 pp and there are a few different menu options available. They can also provide a summer buffet including cold meats, fish, cheeses & salad. If you’re celebrating a special occasion, cakes are easily arranged, either in advance or you can pick one up from the local Boulangerie or Patisserie.
If you would like to organise a big family bash, Mark & Andrea could also help with this (they can host receptions for up to 50 people). There is a 12x6m marquee in the grounds which has a stunning view of the lake – flowers, musicians, a bouncy castle are just some of the things that can be arranged.
Just get in touch with Mark & Andrea with your requirements and they will be happy to help.
One of the highlights of Maison Tranquil is that it has its own private lake, which is beautiful simply to look at or stroll around – it attracts lots of wildlife. If you love the water & a bit of adventure there is a SUP board for guest use, with life jackets, so you can explore the lake by paddle power.
Walking & cycling
The area around Maison Tranquil is perfect for walking & cycling. There are 6 bikes available for guest use in the house including a couple of smaller bikes for little ones. Bikes & trailers can also be hired from Velomondo and can be delivered & collected from the house.
Maison tranquil is nestled in the French countryside, (near Carcassonne) surrounded by vineyards.
There are many wine tasting options to choose from, however one of Mark & Andreas favourites is Domaine Gayda, this is because it is close by, has very attentive staff with a wonderful family-friendly restaurant that has amazing views of the Pyrenees
The local Domaine Chateau Belveze, is also wonderful & friendly however you do need to be fairly fluent in French or pre-book an appointment with Isabelle the owner.
Babysitting can be arranged if you would like to experience Wine Tasting or any other activity without your little cherubs in tow!
If you would prefer not to leave the comfort of Maison Tranquil, Mark & Andrea can arrange for a lady to come to the house for wine tastings and wine food pairings. So, you have the option of putting the children to bed, leaving the adults to enjoy an evening of wine!
To aid in your wellbeing & relaxation, yoga & Pilates sessions can also be arranged in the comfort of the house – either one on one or small group sessions (pre-booking required). In addition, Andrea is a super talented masseuse and offers massage & facial reflexology.
Although these treatments aren’t suitable for children, we think happy, calm & relaxed parents help to ensure calm & relaxed children!
If you can tear yourself away from Maison Tranquil, see below our Top 5 days out with Toddlers:
- Carcassonne Plage – just 10 minutes from Carcassonne is Lac de la Cavayere, which is a wonderful lake with a man-made beach. The lake is perfect for toddlers to paddle in & the beach has lovely soft sand. There is a wonderful wooded area providing plenty of shade on hot days and also lots of great walks through the trees and around the lake. There are various water sports available (including paddle boarding) and also a floating aqua park with slides for older children & adults.
- Bamboo Park – Jardin Les Bambous de Planbuisson is a lovely Botanic Garden with 250 species of Bamboo and 100 species of other grasses from around the world. You can stroll around the paths (pram friendly) & picnic on the banks of the Dordogne. Children under 12 are free.
- Canal du Midi – the canal du midi connects the Garonne River to the Etang du Thau, joining the Atlantic to the Mediterranean. It is the perfect place for a stroll by the water’s edge, cycle along the towpaths, picnic on the shady banks and you can also take a river cruise. The Canal du Midi is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Cite Carcassonne – there is so much to explore in this wonderful medieval city (the largest fortified city in Europe!) there are castle ramparts to investigate, pretty streets & marketplaces, not to mentions all the lovely shops & cafes. A walk over the old bridge takes you a nice park with water features for children to play in. Carcassonne is also listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site. There is also a wine and chocolate pairing walking tour of La Cite Carcassonne.
- Coast Beaches – there are many fabulous beaches within an hour’s drive however Mark & Andreas family favourite is Gruissan (a local secret, shhhh don’t tell anyone!) Gruissan has a fine sandy beach, wonderful seafood restaurants and also two marinas to explore.
Maison Tranquil is perfectly placed between the mountains & the coast with plenty of space for everyone to chill out and lots to do nearby, so if you are planning a large group family friendly holiday, Maison Tranquil is definitely a house to consider.
There is also 10% off all bookings at the moment (for holidays outside July & August) so what are you waiting for?!