La Vielle Fromagerie has been owned by Brian & Dorothy, an English-speaking couple, since 2014.
Brian & Dorothy chose these cottages due to their accessibility from the UK and great location. The site was originally a small creamery, producing Goat’s cheese, until the buildings were converted & renovated. If cheese is your thing, there are still a few local creameries where you can buy delicious French cheese & fresh milk (remember to take your own jug!).
There are three self-catering holiday cottages (a one bed and 2 two beds) and all are family friendly. They can sleep a total of ten adults & four children, all three cottages can all be rented together – ideal for three families to holiday together or a large family group that prefers their own space. The three cottages (gites) share a lovely heated pool and garden with lots of activities to keep little ones busy. For toddlers there is a sand pit, Wendy house, plus slides & swings. Then for slightly older children there is a games room, which is home to an air hockey, pool & football table. There are also giant garden games including chess & Jenga, a large trampoline, bouncy castle and a petanque pit to keep the whole family entertained. The gardens are fenced off from the driveway and car park meaning that parents really do have peace of mind for their little ones to run about & play. The adults also have access to a well-equipped gym, including a treadmill, rowing machine and weights bench – perfect if you’re feeling a bit guilty after overindulging in local French wine & cheese!
The day after arrival Brian & Dorothy treat all guests to a BBQ, which is a fabulous way to meet other families. There is also a large table in the gardens that seats twelve, should you wish to dine with another family at any time.
Pool – the pool is heated, with lots of toys & inflatables for the little ones to play with. There are plenty of sunbeds & parasols to relax on and simply enjoy the tranquil surroundings.
Brux – the local village is a 15 minute stroll down a quiet country lane and you will find a great little shop for supplies (including beer, wine, fresh meat & veg, general groceries plus a post office) and the all-important fresh French bread baked on the premises daily. Brux is a historically interesting village: the church is almost 1000 years old!
Exploring the local area is easy as there are also bikes for adults & children, all with helmets, at the cottages for guests to use and if you would like bike seats or trailers these can also be hired and delivered to La Vielle Fromagerie.
We have five ideas for some super days out with children:
- La Valle des Singes (Monkey World) – Monkey World is home to 34 different species of primates in 22 hectares of lovely grounds. It’s just 10 minutes from the cottages with lots to keep your little monkey’s busy! There is a mini farm and play area for little ones and children under 3 get free entry.
- Les Iles des Payre – is a large lakeside park area with lots of family friendly activities – boats to hire on the lakes, go karting & fishing. There is a great children’s play area and lots of parkland to run around, enjoy and picnic in.
- Futuroscope – is an amazing French theme park just 40 mins from La Vielle Fromagerie. There are 40 rides, attractions and shows, in fact there is soo much to do you might want to consider a two day ticket! Children under 5 get in for free.
- Chateau d’Epanvilliers – is the local 16th-18th Century Chateau (just a 15 minute walk from the gites) and is a hidden gem! The Chateau itself is beautiful and it has an unusual museum of games. The owner, Mr Rordorf, will happily give guests a tour of the Chateau including its history and details about his unusual collection of games. Please contact Mr Rordorf to check opening times.
- Norree Caves – are the only natural caves in the area of La Vienne. There is an exhibition explaining the history of the caves and the history of the bats that live within the caves. The caves have great lighting and unusual Stalagmites which look a bit like the local goat’s cheese!
If you book a family holiday at La Vielle Fromagerie, outside July & August, the gites are amazing value. The price per week is £650 for Gite 1 (sleeps 6), £600 for Gite 3 (sleeps 4) and £500 for Gite 2 (sleeps 4 in one bedroom). The total cost for all 3 gites is just £1750, that’s a great price for 3 families or a large group to share the cost and have the whole complex to yourselves.
Get in touch with Brian & Dorothy to check availability.