We asked three parents who have travelled both near and far, to share their top tips when travelling with babies and young kids. We know it can be stressful and often overwhelming so hopefully you will find something below that might help… My favourite tip is how to remove sand from toddlers hands, pack a small bag of talc in your beach bag. When you need clean hands just rub some talc on them, it really is like magic!
If you have any tips to share do let us know!
Bronwyn and Georgia
- Top tip when flying with kids: babies, feed them for take-off and landing. Older kids – play doh / tablet
- What is the craziest thing you’ve packed when travelling with kids: I took the Tommee Tippee Perfect Prep machine to South Africa with me when Georgia was 4 months old
- Babies first holiday: South of France at 3 weeks old.
- Beach or Pool?: Pool when younger but now that Georgia is a bit older, she loves the beach – being able to play in the sand and waves.
- Top Tip while on Holiday: take a small inflatable pool for small babies that you can fill up next to your loungers / in the shade for baby – you can also use this in the shower if you don’t have a bath in your hotel room.
- Favourite family holiday: Beaches Turks and Caicos when Georgia was 10 months old
Sachelle and Freddie
- Top tip when flying with kids: Depending on the age to help with ear problems : – babies, feed bottle / breast take-off and landing, toddlers give them biscuit or two to munch on, older kids lots of chewy sweets, and for all, use a couple of drops of Olbas oil on a tissue before desending begins.
- To help with nappy changes, pack everything you need for each change in a nappy sack.
- What is the craziest thing you’ve packed when travelling with kids: masking tape – a cheap fun boredom buster – take a roll of masking tape and some pens. It can be torn, drawn on and stuck everywhere – so much fun and easy to pack away
- Babies first holiday: First long haul, New Zealand and Australia – 18 months old (various European trips before that)
- Beach or Pool?: both
- Top Tip while on holiday: don’t forget Calpol or equivalent in your handbag
- Favourite family holiday: Long haul – New Zealand, amazing place to explore with kids – local annual trip to a villa in France with all the kids, now some are grown up too, lots of games, pool fun and arguments usually about Monopoly – love the whole family being able to spend a week together.
Dee and Harry
- Top tip when flying with kids: Bring things that will keep them occupied like snacks, iPad and Harry always loves his sticker and (water) colour books!
- What is the craziest thing you’ve packed when travelling with kids: I have travelled a lot with Harry to visit family in Holland so I trained myself well to take the bare minimum so can’t think of anything crazy.
- Babies first holiday: First trip away to Holland to visit family by car, 2 months old. First family holiday in Europe 13 months old Puglia Italy. First long hall flight Vancouver & the Rocky Mountains 23 months
- Beach or Pool?: Harry absolutely adores the Beach! It’s a great family day out
- Top Tip while on Holiday: I would always book something where you can put the kids asleep separately from where you can relax in the evenings. It’s important to have some time to yourself after you put the kids to bed.
- Favourite family holiday: So far definitely Italy! The Italians are family people and love children. This really made our holiday.